In recent years, if you have noticed a discernible increase in the number of our Canadian neighbors vacationing and living in and around the Palm Springs area, you’re not alone. In fact, it’s hard not to notice, as the population of the desert cities and surrounding valley more than doubles during the winter. Over the years, a special relationship has developed between the desert cities and the influx of Canadians that has helped inject a new vitality into Palm Springs area winters.
As a result, Palm Springs will host Canada Fest 2012 on December 8th and 9th at the Palm Springs Convention Center. Canada Fest 2012 will be the first of its kind in the area, and its intent is to join Canadians and Californians in expressing their mutual appreciation for renewing the desert area as a vibrant and world-class winter vacation destination.
There will be more people, events, and activities to meet, see, and do than you can imagine, with the below being only a partial list of whom you can expect to meet and what you can expect to see or do:
- Political Dignitaries – what’s a celebration of two countries and cultures without local and national political dignitaries making appearances? Canadian Ambassador to the United States Gary Doer, California Senator Barbara Boxer, local House Representative Mary Bono Mack, and the mayors of Vancouver (Gregor Robertson) and Montreal (Gerald Tremblay) are among the political dignitaries expected to appear at Canada Fest 2012.
- Non-political Dignitaries – Miss Universe Canada and Miss Greater Palm Springs are both expected to appear and greet visitors. Also possible will be photo ops with two police offers on horseback, one representing the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and one the Palm Springs Police Department.
- Booths – There will be booths representing more than 200 different vendors promoting and displaying clothes, real estate, food, drinks, seminars, and a host of other products and specialty items.
- Prize drawings – Attendees will be given a “passport” that they can have stamped at one of the vendors in attendance. Once an attendee collects a minimum of 25 stamps, he or she will become eligible for any number of prizes from numerous drawings. Prizes will include cruises, trips, furs, jewelry, and more.
- Food and Beverages – Attendees can relax with a brew or two at the Canadian Beer Garden. For coffee lovers, Tim Horton coffee will be served and prominently displayed throughout the event. There will be plenty of food, as well.
- Fashion – Several runway fashion shows will be put on by top Canadian and U.S. designers, such Joseph Ribkoff, Dicker & Dicker of Beverly Hills, and more.
- Special events
- Children won’t be forgotten, as there will be special booths with yummy food and face painting, among other children’s favorites.
- Autograph signings from celebrities and sports heroes.
- Seminars on a variety of subjects presented by a throng of respected and well-known speakers and experts.
- Music – Classic songs from American rock band Player, who will be playing a variety of their classic hits from the 1970s and 1980s.
- Real Estate information – For anyone wishing to move to or merely vacation in Palm Springs, there will be plenty of information from the best, most trusted real estate figure in the area, Claudine Messika.