La Quinta is a dynamic city in the Coachella Valley that is known to all as one of the most premier golfing locations in the United States. La Quinta is home to some of the most prestige professional golf tournaments and resorts that make La Quinta a beautiful place.
The La Quinta was established in 1776 by Spanish explorers and its name is translated to mean “the fifth”. Many of the early residents were from the Cahuilla tribe and the first documentation of residence in La Quinta dates back to 1823.
Interesting La Quinta Facts
- Population as of January 1, 2011 – 37,836
- Seasonal population in 2009 – 17,750. Seasonal residents may spend fall, winter and spring in La Quinta and are additional to the permanent population.
- Median age – 45.6
- Median household income in 2010 – $76,227
- Total number of households in 2011 – 14,844
- Total number of housing units in 2011 – 23,528 (over 90% are single family dwellings)
- Median new home price in 2011 – $489,750
- Median resale home price in 2011 – $302,250
- Retail taxable sales in FY 2010/2011 – $590.2 million
- Total taxable sales in FY 2010/2011 – $646.1 million
- Assessed property valuation in FY 2010 – $10.8 billion
- Permit valuation in 2011 – $37.8 million; 2010 – $45.9 million; $44.6 million in 2009
- Hotel room sales in FY 2010/11 – $34.6 million
- Traffic counts for average daily trips in 2011:
- Washington Street at Highway 111 – 73,675; Washington Street at Fred Waring Drive – 62,358; Highway 111 at Adams Street – 47,525; Jefferson Street at Highway 111 – 62,643
- Market area characteristics of La Quinta’s 5, 10, and 15 mile ring from Highway 111/Adams Street:
La Quinta Schools
La Quinta public schools are considered a part of the Desert Sands Unified School District.
Elementary Schools in La Quinta
- John Adams Elementary School
- Harry S. Truman Elementary School
- Benjamin Franklin Elementary School
- Amelia Earhart Elementary School of International Studies
Middle Schools in La Quinta
- La Quinta Middle School
- Colonel Mitchell Paige Middle School
- John Glenn Middle School of Intermediate Studies
- Horizon Middle School
High Schools in La Quinta
- La Quinta High School
- Summit High School
- Horizon High School
La Quinta is a city that supports cultural and artistic accomplishments and holds an annual La Quinta Arts Festival. The La Quinta Playhouse and many other attractive destinations make this such a lively place to visit or reside in. The continual growth of both temporary and permanent residents are proof that La Quinta is a wonderful place to be.